Sunday, November 22, 2009

22/11/O9

Today was the first sunny day in over a week, so I walked the approximately 12 mile route on the road the runs out of town, loops around, and then back into town again. I'm not sure how long it really was but it took me just over three hours. I walked briskly but it was also very hilly. On top of some of the ridges the view was literally breathtaking, all I could do was stand there and stare. I felt like I could see forever. The town, perched on the side of a small mountain, stayed in sight for almost the entire wall. It was exhilarating to be up that high and to look back at town, but to be so physically removed from it: from language classes, from model school, from homestay, from dirty laundry. Two any followed me for a about half a mile until it became clear that, despite being white, I wasn't going to do anything interesting. Coming back into town I walked along the barbed wise fence of the South Africa border for a few miles. That was the most free and relaxed I have felt in a really long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment