Thursday, August 12, 2010

12/08/10

Today after a homework check in one of my classes I was left with 6 students sitting at desks (the only 6 students who had done the homework) and 36 sitting on the floor. Come on guys.
English Theater group met for the first time today in preparation for the provincial competition we will attend on September 18th. I had anticipated that interest would be pretty high, since many of the kids enjoy speaking English here, but I was still pleasantly surprised when 16 students showed up. Many students here love speaking English, especially with a native speaker like me, and it is also an incredibly useful skill to have, as all 6 of Mozambique’s neighboring countries speak English as the national language, including South Africa which is the most developed country in the southern half of the continent. Also all three of my English teaching colleagues showed up to the meeting which was another pleasant surprise. And it was good to have them there because even though I speak English, obviously, the students have difficulty understanding my American accent, so occasionally they had to repeat or explain what I had said. Unfortunately we will only be able to take 10 students to the competition, but I hope all of the students will maintain interest and help with the writing and acting out of the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment