Wednesday, October 13, 2010

08/10/10

Natalia, the Spanish volunteer at the mission, left today! I can’t believe her year here is up already! I kept trying to convince her to stay, but to no avail. I will really miss her, she has been a great friend the past year and it’s always nice to have someone who thinks similarly to vent to about going-ons at the mission.
A young man came to my class today and asked if he could talk to me. Since I was in the middle of a lesson I told him not then, but during the interval between lessons. I assumed that he was a student because students are constantly coming to my door to ask for homework/exercise help in the middle of my lessons and act completely surprised and rebuffed when I say no. After class he found me and, in very good English, said that he was recording music and was needed a woman’s voice and was wondering if I could sing on some of his tracks. I politely told him thank you, but I was too busy. And like many things in my life here, I was completely confused by the entire exchange. Had he only asked me because I speak English (and at this point I am only assuming that we would have been singing in English since we conversed in English), because I am white and therefore a celebrity, or because he had heard I sing?

No comments:

Post a Comment