Tuesday, July 12, 2011

11/07/11

I found out today that one of the girls from the orphanage (in 9th grade) is pregnant and has left. It’s hard to describe, but it’s one of the most devastating feelings I’ve ever felt. Not only is her life going to be so different and so much more difficult now, she left what has been her home for years now and is one of the most stable, caring, supportive environments I have seen in Mozambique. Apparently she was about six months pregnant; she had gotten pregnant while she was with family over the holidays. She lied and told the sisters that her family needed her at home, but the sisters suspected and made her undress and they found out. She was one of my REDES girls. I feel like someone’s kicked me in the chest whenever I think about it. Maybe I shouldn’t be too surprised, almost every Mozambican woman I know has children. But she felt like a sister to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment