Last night our house got hit by lightning. On Sunday when a group of the trainees were hanging out at our house, one of them asked “so with all of the houses having metal roofs, do any of them ever get hit by lightning?” “Hmm I don’t know” I responded casually, barely registering the question.
Last night, after a swelteringly sunny and sticky day, a magnificent thunderstorm rolled in. The power kept going in and out. I sat on the couch reading by headlamp and noted that, based on the trick I had learned in grade school of counting the seconds between lightning and its thunder, the storm was…approximately four feet from our window. I was sitting on the couch in the dark and Anna was lying in her bed when suddenly our whole house went “ZZZZ-ZAP!” My phone charger was plugged in (thankfully my phone wasn’t) and at that moment it sprang a few feet up in the air, sparked, and went “ZZZ!” Anna came running out immediately yelling “DID YOU SEE THAT?!?!” because the same thing had happened in her room. Thank goodness neither of us had been touching anything metal, including Anna’s metal bedframe. I asked her if she had padlocked the metal grate on our backdoor. Thankfully she had, otherwise it would have stayed unlocked last night, I wasn’t risking touching that!