Friday, April 26, 2013


            Okay I lied. I thought it would be nice to have a last post that kind of wrapped things up. And more than anything, I wanted to say thank you to anyone who has ever read. I landed in Thailand yesterday, meaning that after three years of making it my home, I have officially left the continent of Africa. This was a wonderful and life-changing experience. To paraphrase a beloved priest in the states, it helped me to see the world through different eyes, and I am extremely grateful for the opportunity. Also thank you for ever reading. This was such a special and monumental experience for me, it meant so much for me to be able to share it with others.
            And why not finish with a few stories. Saturday when I traveled back down to Maputo from Inharrime, the rain had slowed us down so I got in around 6pm (after dark) and it was pouring. I knew that these conditions can make guys like taxi drivers be jerks—a young white girl alone in the rain after dark doesn’t have a whole lot of bargaining power—so I was dreading my interactions with the taxi drivers. I told the first car where I was going and he said a surprisingly reasonable price, so I jumped in immediately. It wasn’t until I was sitting and buckling in that I realized the windshield in front of me was shattered inward in what was the distinctly concave imprint of a human butt. “Is that from a person?” I asked. Why? Why do I ask questions I clearly don’t want to know the answer to?
            When I arrived at the stop for the overnight bus to Johannesburg (where I would fly out of) I got my credit card out and found a stupidly well-hidden 1000met bill in my wallet that I hadn’t accounted for. You can’t exchange the Metical anywhere in the world outside of Mozambique, so I was deteremined not to cross the border with it (it’s about $30), but it was 7pm and my bus was leaving soon. So I used my Africa-made Portuguese skills, charm, and perseverance to convince the guy selling cashews to exchange with me for South African Rand, including him rounding up Rand notes from his buddies selling phone credit or chips nearby so I could exchange the whole 1000. 



Also an update: baby D went to live with her paternal grandmother on Tuesday and it seems that things are going well. I think about her all the time, I hope she's happy and loved where she is and remembers somewhere inside that I love her too.

7 comments:

  1. Car Hire Nepal, Tourism is one of the major industries in Nepal which make offer an opportunity to see the beautiful scenery and the wonderful scenery of the mountain. We are famous for fast, secure and efficient door-to-door service. Renting the car in Nepal provides you freedom and flexibility wherever you traveling. It is providing the best service along with the less fare and better service. During the journey is seriously valuable for us about their comfort. Nepal is an ancient country with many attractions for travelers. It gives a wholesome holiday experience because of its diversity and you can find a new meaning to life with your trip to this wonderful land. A Nepal tour has the cheapest service in Kathmandu. We are proud to offer the visitor with the affordable bus fares along with the stander and comfortable service. This service offers you a wide range of great deal and services whenever you want to rent a car.
    Car Hire Nepal, We offer competitive price and up-to-date information; ensuring quality and efficiency for our entire visit at all times. We offer a wide variety of vehicles rental service in Nepal. We wish to make your stay as comfortable and memorable as possible. If you enjoy touring, we will be able to provide you with information on the many beautiful sights in our wonderful city. We can offer you the service of the experienced driver and supply you the maps and helpful information about your expeditions. The road of Nepal in the Himalayan region like off road and car is the best vehicles to drive. You may ask our driver if you want to stop for a while if you want to have lunch or tea or rest during your driver. Our objective is to continually improve the car rental service in Nepal while offering our customers a cost-effective service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everest Trekking Routes could be a Nepalese trekking company closely-held and operated by a competent and a skilled native team of trekking consultants. We have earned a superb prime rating in Trip adviser and being suggested on Lonely The planet as per the optimum clients' happiness over our reliable service in organizing the safe and nice trekking and mounting journeys. individualize service and safety on prime of any agenda in organizing any of our trekking in Nepal and mounting journeys within the mountain range. we tend to guarantee practiced, competent and medical trained trek leader to guide your journey Trekking in Nepal to climb with correct safety make a copy like a gas cylinder or PAC bag and comprehensive care kit. Proud to be a pioneer and accountable tour operator to Porters on all high altitude Kingdom of Nepal treks and mounting visit reasonable value.Trekking in Nepal is final Activities to explore and know the incomparable native culture and thrilling beauty and splendor of the high mountain range. we tend to do stand out among the remainder in leading our trip in most accountable method Olympian each expectation. we've got earned a superb name for absolute dependableness, caring and safety over the year in organizing trekking within the Himalaya. With our dedicated native team of experts' work commitment and over two-decade-long tour in operation expertise, we tend to doubtless ensure the safe and better of Kingdom of Nepal trekking Guide expertise to any or all our valued trekkers. so we've got over forty you rather than recurrent trekkers every year UN agency while not a shred of doubt continuously select America for his or her final trip to the Kingdom of Nepal treks to mountain chain expeditions. several travelers square measure connotation America as they need to be seen America in action on earlier trip experts and reliable service we tend to cater to make sure the most effective and safe journey vacation of the period of time. Proud to share that we've got achieved an expert Everest Trekking Guide, Annapurna Trekking Guide, Manaslu Circuit Trekking Guide in Nepal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We, the team Karma Eco Adventure is a leading travel and trekking company based in Kathmandu Nepal dedicated to help travelers in the country with personally crafted tours and treks. Check out our featured packages as: Ganjala High Pass Trek Annapurna base camp trek, Annapurna circuit trek , Ghorepani poonhill trek, Annapurna sanctuary trek, Everest base camp heli trek , Everest base camp trek , Everest gokyo valley trek

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow amazing dude but you guys must try this game dude come join with me in here : Slot Online

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete