Tuesday, January 5, 2010

04/01/10

Today was Ann’s birthday, feliz aniversário Ann! I baked her a pineapple cake because she loves pineapples and it turned out so well even though I baked it myself (anyone who knows me and my cooking understands why this was a major feat)! We watched Cinderella in Portuguese this afternoon. It was a fun way to practice our Portuguese, but I forgot how hard the mice are to understand in Cinderella, even in English. I was walking down the street today and walked by two kids who were playing. When they saw me their faces lit up and they got up to run towards me with huge smiles on their faces. It made me feel extremely happy and special that I could cause such a reaction! Then when they got near me they held out their hands expectantly. It was disappointing to realize that they only reason they smiled at me was because someone had taught them that white people will give them money. I was quite deflated and to make it worse they yelled at me xopi when I told them I wasn’t going to give them anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment