Friday, June 11, 2010

10/06/10

Today each of my classes (which should have 45 students) averaged about 25 students. I thought this was kind of strange, maybe I had gotten the dates wrong and the World Cup had actually started today instead of tomorrow. I later found out that my pedagogical director had shut the gate of the mission shortly after school began to keep kids from entering late and to try to entice them to arrive on time in the future. I once had a kid show up and 1 hour and 8 minutes late to my class (it was a double hour) and he seemed surprised when I wouldn’t let him in.
One of my REDES girls came up to me this afternoon, grinning from ear to ear. She said that she had gone to the library (where the computers are) to find a biology book. An 11th grade class was using the computers and one boy was complaining that all of his letters were capitalized and he didn’t know how to change it. Using what she had learned at our REDES meeting the previous night, she said “just push this button here.” He just stared at her for a second, like who is this pipsqueak 8th grader telling me what to do? But eventually he pushed the Caps Lock button and found it solved his problem, while she got to strut away, so proud of herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment