Wednesday, June 23, 2010

18/06/10

At a faculty meeting today it was brought up how a lot of kids have been coming to class without having brushed their hair lately. In my homeroom sometimes the chief of hygiene will come up to me and say “so-and-so didn’t brush their hair” but I had absolutely no idea what I was supposed to do about it, so I would just say okay and thank her. So after this faculty meeting I finally asked a good female colleague friend what it meant and what I was supposed to do about it. She told me that when kids don’t brush their hair, they are supposed to be kicked out of class until they have brushed it. I asked how you know whether they have or not, and she said “you can tell! When it’s brushed it looks like this, but when it’s not brushed it looks like this.” I tried to explain that I haven’t grown up with hair like theirs, mine is extremely different, and I could not for the life of me detect the difference she was talking about. She called two boys over to demonstrate the difference between unbrushed and brushed hair but I still have no clue.
I did Sudoku with a few of my classes on Thursday just for fun and we did about half of a puzzle together during class and I told them that if they wanted, they could correctly complete the puzzle for a few extra points. I didn’t honestly expect any of the kids to try, doing extra school work would be pretty unheard of, and even if they tried to didn’t expect them to complete it correctly. But on Friday one boy came in and proudly showed me his perfectly completed Sudoku puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment