Wednesday, July 28, 2010

16/07/10

Last night one of the sisters was going across the street where I needed to go too, so I asked her, “can I walk with you?” At this the two other sisters in the room just died laughing. My director corrected me “you should say ‘can I go with you’ not ‘can I walk with you.’ Andar means like this” and she marched to demonstrate for me. “I know what andar means, but isn’t that what we are doing?” They died laughing again. The joys of learning the nuances of a language.
Today in all five of my classes while we were resolving equations I asked a student (who had volunteered themselves) what -6+8 was and in all five classes I was told either -4 or 4. Usually I can at least follow my students’ thought processes and see where they went wrong, but with this I can’t and the fact that it happened in all five classes has left me completely bewildered.

No comments:

Post a Comment