Sunday, May 9, 2010

07/05/10

Just as the cooler weather kind of snuck up on us, it snuck away just as quickly and suddenly we all realized, weird, we’re sweating buckets again. And the most interesting thing about sleeping with the fan on is hearing the number of times it turns off during the night (i.e. the number of times in one night the power goes out). Last night I noticed 4 times.
Big day today, last night only one girl in the orphanage wet the bed!
Yesterday a 10th grader sought me out during break for help with some English homework. The homework was a paragraph with words missing, so he had to fill in the missing words. It was kind of a bizarre assignment though, so the words missing were just kind of random, some were nouns, adjectives, pronouns or even articles, and there didn’t seem to be any specific point to the assignment. The paragraph was about a text they had read during class and though we could fill in most of the blanks just because it was obvious which words would work best in English, there were some words missing that you would have needed to have read the text to know. I told this and that I couldn’t help with this part, he would have to remember the text they had read. He said “oh well I didn’t read the text, this is my sister’s homework.” I asked why he was doing his sister’s homework and he said “well because she couldn’t do it.” Today he sought me out to give me a big thumbs up and let me know that we had done the homework correctly. Well thank goodness I can still do 10th grade English homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment