Thursday, May 20, 2010

19/05/10

Sometimes I encounter cultural differences in the most unexpected places. In Mozambique, a test is like the final draft of a paper that, one printed, you carry in a folder or something to prevent it from getting dirty or scuffed. They are accustomed to using a piece of scratch paper on which they do all of their work, and then we write only their answers on their test. I have a student ask me for another piece of paper because she wanted to rewrite her test after it was finished, because it was too messy in her opinion. But I don’t let them use scrap paper for two reasons: first, to control the papers on their desks during a test because cheating is such a problem here, and second because I want to see what they did to be able to give them credit. And no matter how many times I explain to them that in math it is important to show all of your work and this system is to their benefit because it gives me the opportunity to give partial credit, you would honestly think I was telling them I want their firstborn child when I tell them they can’t use scrap paper. And many of them still refuse to write on their tests. For simple algebraic operations they write on their desks and the walls and when I yell at them for this they write on their arms and hands.
Caught one boy cheating today, and like the previous times I felt that I was the one who felt more remorseful. I eventually had to kick him out of class because he was being intentionally noisy and disruptive and I had nothing left to threaten him with, as he already had a zero on the test.
Today was pleasant enough that I knew I wouldn’t sweat, so I wore a cotton dress with short sleeves that I haven’t been able to wear much since coming here since you sweat through it in all sorts of unattractive ways. One of my students was wearing a puffy down winter jacket. When I asked her if she was sick she responded “no, I’m just feeling chilly today.”

No comments:

Post a Comment