Thursday, May 20, 2010

20/05/10

Today I told a class that it was very important to all come to school tomorrow because we were doing recuperation for the test and most of them badly needed it because they had done so poorly on the test. A couple of them told me it was my fault they had done so badly, since I didn’t let them use scrap paper. I almost erupted. I was so angry I couldn’t respond other than to waggle my finger at them in disagreement. It’s not my fault that I told you exactly what would be on the test but clearly most of you didn’t study AT ALL because you missed even the “gimmes” I put on the test to ensure that too many people wouldn’t have zeros. How dare you say it was my fault you did so poorly when you should be apologizing to me for wasting my time and thanking me for giving you the opportunity to raise your grades!
A man doing work in my room (I finally got the mirror that I bought in December hung today!) was asking me about being a volunteer—basically he couldn’t understand what we get out of it. I told him, look I am living in a foreign country, I have learned a new language, I am learning a new life. True I am a volunteer, but I am gaining more from this experience than anyone else. I tried to explain that in America the Peace Corps is a known and respected organization, and most people respect the fact that I am learning more here than I could for two years in a job, but I don’t think I convinced him. And really, how to you explain all this to someone for whom careers (not a job, but a career), networking, grad school, etc literally don’t exist? He must just think I am crazy. But afterward he tried to convince me to stay after my two years are up.
222 (minus the few students who didn’t show up to take their test) tests graded in the past 3 days, check.
One of the girls in the orphanage found out last night that her mother died in an accident (she is here for other reasons). What do you say to a 9-year-old whose mother died? The only consolation is that she is surrounded by friends who can relate. She is makes my heart swell every time I talk to her because she only arrived a few months ago and is proof of how much good being in a wonderful environment like we have here can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment