Sunday, January 16, 2011

16/01/11

On Friday night we had our goodbye dinner for Irmã Verdiana who transferred to another house down in Maputo. The good news is that I will be able to visit her, but I am sad because she is a wonderful sister and was a great friend to me this past year. I also found out that three of the girls in training won’t be coming back to our mission for various reasons. I just wish I had known because I never got to wish them goodbye.
Yesterday I headed into town to meet up with Erin, Ann, and Angela, a new PCV from Erin’s group who is our closest neighbor about 40k down the road. It has been pouring for a couple weeks now (a lot of areas are in serious danger of flooding like they did back in 2000 when Mozambique saw terrible floods. The irony is that we badly needed the rain, it hadn’t really rained in about 4 months prior, but all these huge downpours aren’t what we needed) so we took refuge inside Ann’s house for most of the day. For dinner we made Thai massaman curry and it was delicious! Erin gave me tons of English-teaching resources which will be helpful because I feel like I have no idea what I’m doing. Due to the bad weather the power has been fluctuating and going out completely all the time. After being gone for so long, the first time the power went out I almost felt nostalgic, like when you smell a food that reminds you of home.
I walked home for church this morning and even at 6am it was sweltering. By the time I got home all of my clothes were completely soaked through, so I put them in a pile on the floor so they wouldn’t dirty anything else. After I got out of the shower I saw the pile move and a reptilian head poke out. I got ready to jump up on my desk in fears that it was a snake, but luckily only a lizard scurried out of the pile and into my wardrobe. I’m pretty sure it’s still in there.
The girls are back! I missed them so much and the mission is finally restored to its wonderfully noisy state. The past couple days have been spent on my front porch with the music playing and the girls hanging around dancing, playing, or napping.
There are four new girls now, so once all of the girls return it will bring the total number to 56 girls. When I remarked this to Irmã Lucilia she told me we will have 70 girls total this year! That said, please check out www.friendsofinharrime.org! You can sponsor a child for very little U.S. money per year, and I can personally attest that the money goals to an incredibly good cause.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, let me know if you ever need other English teaching supplies, since that's what I did last year in France! Granted, a lot of the stuff is topical for a young French teenager, so it may not all apply, but I have some powerpoints about some typically American things, and some interesting role plays and other things like that. Just send me an email and I'll see what I can dig up. :)

    ReplyDelete