Friday, October 16, 2009

15/10/09

Today my host brother asked his mom for a pair of skates and a puck so that he could play hockey too. I played soccer with them a little bit before dinner but I couldn’t get them to stop using their hands! After classes today a bunch of us met in a field to play Frisbee, kick around a soccer ball, throw around an American football, and just socialize (because health and education people only see each other once or twice a week!). A group of kids were intrigued by either the balls or the Americans and before we knew it we had a group of 40ish grade school kids watching us play catch and before long we were basically playing 40 person monkey-in-the-middle. Every time the ball was loose there was a 15 kid pile-up. So for about an hour there was complete chaos in the field with two footballs and three Frisbees in action at any given point.
You probably think of French fries as a staple American food. I always did. Little did we know that fried potato slices are also a staple Mozambican food! At lunch every day without fail probably half of us have fries. And here fries aren’t necessarily the side order to your burger, but I have been served a heaping plate of fries. The Mozambican diet seems to consist of mostly carbs (white bread, rice, xima, and pasta), a little bit of protein, and every once in a while some fruits and vegetables. Many of us, myself included, have had to specifically ask for more fruits and vegetables. So now every night after dinner I peel an orange (with a knife, of course) so I can offer slices to everyone. Especially for my cousins, this may be the only fruit they eat all day.
My host brother and cousin call me “sister” in Portuguese.

No comments:

Post a Comment