Sunday, October 18, 2009

17/10/09

Today I was walking with my host mom and a relative of hers who has a one month old adorable baby. The baby got the hiccups so they picked a left from a plant, wet it, and stuck it to the baby’s forehead. My first weekend here I was told church started at 8am, but we didn’t even leave the house until 8:05 (Mozambique time is very…flexible). Then the second weekend my grandmother told me while I was bathing at about 7:30 that we were going to be late and needed to leave. So tonight I asked her what time we were going to leave tomorrow morning and she said at 8. When I explained why I was confused, my mom explained that my grandmother doesn’t use a clock or watch so when she decides it’s time to go, it’s time. That’s when I realized, I don’t think there is a clock in our house.
“Passear” in Portuguese is translated in the dictionary as “to go for a walk” or “to take for a walk.” The idea is really to walk with no real purpose but for the simple pleasure of walking. For example, you would never passear to school or the store. It’s wonderful. People just passear.

2 comments:

  1. French has something like that-- "se promener" which is basically "to go for a walk" or "to stroll." I think it's very epitomizing that we don't have anything like that in English...

    ReplyDelete
  2. very similar in Italian also.

    after dinner there is "la passegiata".

    ReplyDelete