Sunday, October 18, 2009

18/10/09

This morning I was walking to the bakery with my little brother when I saw two men in their Sunday best praying to one of the trees that run down the middle of the road. Wait. No, not praying—peeing on the tree. You see that a lot here.
Sundays are usually laundry day here, but we are almost out of water now and the water won’t be on again until Tuesday, so I was only able to wash a few things. During this time of the year the water is only turned on every five days. On these days everyone fills every water they container they own. My family is fortunate enough to have a faucet in their yard, so on water days they run a hose into the house to fill the water containers. During other times of the year, such as after the rainy summer months, there is water every day. And just when I think I am getting the hang of things…I had to wash my pants three times because every time I would finish washing them, I would accidentally touch them against something and this damn red clay just gets on everything and is really hard to wash out. A pain especially when you’re trying to conserve water.

No comments:

Post a Comment